Worsfold Frequently Asked Questions
What is the fall deadline?
What is the spring deadline?
Who was Dr. Victor Worsfold?
Dr. Victor L. Worsfold was a UT Dallas School of Arts and Humanities faculty member from 1975 to 2001. Dr. Worsfold taught courses in ethics, social and political philosophy, the philosophy of education, and the humanities. For nearly a decade, Dr. Worsfold served as a consultant to the McDermott Scholars Program and as an advisor the scholars. Dr. Worsfold passed away on April 21, 2013, but he will live on forever in the minds of alumni as a treasured member of the McDermott faculty.
Dr. Victor Worsfold was an inspiring educator and a recipient of the University of Texas Chancellor’s Council Outstanding Teaching Award in 1989.
Who created the grant?
The grant was created by the McDermott Scholars Program Alumni Association to honor Dr. Worsfold. Helping UT Dallas students fund creative solutions to important community problems would have made Dr. Worsfold proud.
Why do I need a letter from a UT Dallas faculty or staff member?
The grant selection committee would like to see your or your group’s commitment to the project which includes having campus support for the project.
When is the letter from a UT Dallas faculty or staff member due?
Fall deadline: October 1
Spring deadline: February 15
You may include the letter in your application or have them email us at HonorsCollege@UTDallas.edu. Your application will not be reviewed until complete.
Should I include the entire budget, even if it is more than $1,000?
Yes, list the full amount as well as what you are requesting. This allows the grant selection committee to fully understand the nature of your project and its budgetary implications. The explanation of why you need the funds should not be included in the budget.
What is the timeline?
Grant decisions are made by a committee of UTD faculty, staff and students and you will receive a response on whether or not you have received a Worsfold Grant by November 15 (for fall applications) or April 1 (for spring applications). If you do receive funding, your Worsfold funds must be spent by August 1 (fall & spring awardees).
When and how will I receive Worsfold funds, if granted?
You will be notified by November 15 for the fall deadline and April 1 for the spring deadline if you have received funds. You can start spending right away once you have received the email of how much you have received. For fall and spring awardees, you must have spent all your Worsfold Funds by August 1, as that is the end of the fiscal year.
Options for Spending Worsfold Funds:
Reimbursement: Please utilize this option first. The experience of seeking out the best prices, negotiating, spending wisely, and coordinating delivery is an integral part of implementing your project.
In order to receive reimbursement, you’ll need to provide:
- Project description/purpose
- Expense description/purpose/people involved
- Dated receipt(s) listing each item and form of payment (NOTE: sales tax is not reimbursable and gift cards are not reimbursable)
Name, address, UTD ID number for student receiving reimbursement
- This student will be required to provide personal documentation (i.e. W-9 tax form)
- Banking information may also be requested to receive direct deposit payment
- Are you currently or have you ever been employed by UTD?
Contact email@example.com when you have this information together to receive the “Request for Reimbursement Form.” When you submit the completed form, it will be processed for approval and reimbursement (be sure to include your eSignature on the form).
*Make sure to look at the list of UTD’s Preferred Vendors if you are using funds for promotional items: https://finance.utdallas.edu/buying-goods-services/preferred-suppliers/.
- Order through HWHC Office: Some items can be purchased through the HWHC office (from Staples or Amazon only). However, many items are restricted for internal purchasing, and require multiple levels of approvals. This causes delays in the system and requires significant follow up. Hence, the delivery dates are less predictable or reliable. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
What can the grant funds be used on?
The application requests a proposed budget. Items on this budget may be purchased using grant funding. Items not included are not covered by the grant and should not be purchased using grant funds.
Why did I not receive a grant?
Unfortunately we are unable to fund every project requesting support. We suggest that you review your goals, budget, and timeline.
Why did I not receive the full amount I requested?
The Worsfold Grants amounts can range from $250 to $1,000 per project and are determined by the committee based on the proposed budget and needs as well as the number of grants being funded each year.
What should the project report include?
The narrative portion of the report should include the following (1-3 pages):
Description of up to one page of the activities during the reporting period that addresses:
- a summary of the project and purpose of the grant
- progress made toward the expected outcomes of the grant
- setbacks or challenges and how you have addressed them
- plans and goals for the upcoming reporting period
The financial report should include the following:
- your original budget
- all of your expenditures for the reporting period (and where they fit within your original budget)
- plan for remaining budget in accordance with your original budget
- a narrative explanation of any significant variances between proposed spending and actual spending
- Photos - please include photos that can be used in publications.
- Description of up to one page of the activities during the reporting period that addresses:
Why should I include pictures?
The McDermott Alumni Association sponsors the grant, and they would like to see their funds in action. They would like to use the images in publications to their members as well as on reports and social media.