Applying for Terry Foundation Scholarships – Traditional Program
If you are interested in applying for Terry Foundation Traditional Scholarships at UT Dallas, please review the qualifications below.
- Graduating senior of a Texas high school or home school
- Acceptance to The University of Texas at Dallas (fall only)
- Demonstrate a strong record of academic achievement
- Exhibit a notable record of leadership and volunteerism
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) review – eligibility for need-based aid is not a requirement to receive the scholarship
- Net annual family income - $100,000 and below (subject to a case-by-case review)
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Texas resident
The application will be available early October. Applications can be found online in your Orion portal. (Visit Galaxy > Self-Service > Terry Scholarship Application) Please email email@example.com with any questions.
In addition to the application, the following is required:
- Official copy of high school transcript with grades earned senior year (since we are not able to access transcripts submitted to UT Dallas Admissions).
- If senior grades are not included in the transcript, a copy of the report card can be included with the junior year transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a high school teacher)
Deadline: January 15
Essay prompts are listed below. Please note the word limit.
- Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today? Please do not exceed 750 words.
- In approximately 500 words, describe an example of your leadership. Be sure to describe actions and the actions of those around you and to explain what you accomplished.
In fewer than 500 words, please explain the following:
- Why have you chosen to apply to UT Dallas?
- Please list up to six universities to which you have applied or plan to apply (include UT Dallas).
- Why have you selected your major?
- What are your future goals and objectives (include any educational or post-baccalaureate plans).
Short Essay (500 words or fewer):
- Please describe yourself. How would others describe you?
- The UT Dallas Terry Scholars have a student organization and the Terry Foundation requires participation. The scholars meet regularly to determine service, social, and cultural events. There are leadership opportunities as well. Explain how you would contribute to the student organization.
- Select two extracurricular activities you participate in. Why do you participate?
- What is your philosophy on service? Why is serving others important to you?
- Why are you a good candidate to receive this award? What will you do if you do not receive this award?
- What do you hope to accomplish while at UT Dallas?
Other Important Information
- Terry Foundation Scholarship recipients participate in the prestigious Terry Scholars Program.
- In order to receive an application, you must have applied to UT Dallas.
- Applicants must be fully admitted to the university by the application deadline. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- Apply for on-campus housing (Terry Scholars are required to live in the residence hall their first year)
- Amount of scholarship: the four year award is over $122,000 (encompasses Terry award and financial aid, if applicable).