How Can I Apply?
Qualifications: (See Brochure)
- Graduating senior of a Texas high school or home school
- Acceptance to The University of Texas at Dallas (fall only)
- Demonstrate a strong record of academic achievement
- Exhibit a notable record of leadership and volunteerism
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) review – eligibility for need-based aid is not a requirement to receive the scholarship
- Adjusted gross income - typically below $110,000 (subject to a case-by-case review)
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Texas resident
The application will be available in early September in your Galaxy/Orion portal. You should apply to UT Dallas first. You can begin drafting the essay questions below while awaiting admission from the University.
To access the application, go into your Galaxy portal, click on ‘Orion Student Center’ under ‘My Menu’ and ‘Orion Self-Service (Student)’ in the middle of the page. Click the Terry Scholarship tile to find the application. View a more detailed set of instructions. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
If you do not have SAT/ACT scores (we are test optional again this year), please contact email@example.com to access the application.
In addition to the application, the following is required:
- Official copy of high school transcript (we are not able to access transcripts submitted to UT Dallas Admissions)*
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from a high school teacher)
Deadline: January 5 for students; January 10 for recommendations and transcripts.
Short Answer Questions
- Why have you chosen to apply to UT Dallas?
- Please list up to six universities to which you have applied or plan to apply (include UT Dallas).
- Why have you selected your major?
- What are your future goals and objectives? (include any educational or post-baccalaureate plans)
Two Essays about your personal story
- Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today? Please do not exceed 750 words.
- In approximately 500 words, describe an example of your leadership. Be sure to describe your actions and the actions of those around you and to explain what you accomplished.
Essay Questions (350 words each)
- What are two things you would like us to know about you?
- The Terry Scholars® at UT Dallas have a student organization and the Terry Foundation® requires participation. The scholars meet regularly to determine service, social, and cultural events. There are leadership opportunities as well. Explain how you can contribute to this organization.
- Select two extracurricular activities you participate in, and tell us why you participate in these.
- Why is serving others important to you? What service organizations/projects have you recently been involved with and how did you contribute?
- Many students apply for this scholarship and only 15-25 receive it. Why are you a good candidate?
- What do you hope to accomplish at UT Dallas (academically and/or personally)?
Other Important Information
- To avoid unforeseen delays, it is best to apply to UT Dallas by 12/1; you must be admitted to UT Dallas by 1/20 for consideration.
- If selected, you must apply for on-campus housing (scholars are required to live in the residence hall their first year).
- The four-year award is over $130,000 (encompassing Terry award and financial aid, if applicable).
* contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you cannot send an official transcript.