Sigma Xi Membership Information
Since its founding in 1886, induction into Sigma Xi has been a milestone in hundreds of thousands of distinguished research science and engineering careers. Membership in Sigma Xi requires nomination by two Sigma Xi members. It is not linked to the possession of any specific education degree or contingent upon belonging to some other organization. Neither Sigma Xi, nor any chapter of Sigma Xi, shall discriminate against candidates for election to membership on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Types of, and Qualifications for Sigma Xi Membership
- Full Membership. An individual who has shown noteworthy achievement as an original investigator in a field of pure or applied science is eligible for election to Full Membership. This noteworthy achievement must be evidenced by publication as the primary author (defined in the manner appropriate to the discipline) on at least two different articles published in a refereed journal, patents, or refereed monographs. Dissertations and theses alone are not considered sufficient for demonstration of this achievement and must be accompanied by at least two other publications.
- Associate Membership. An individual who has conducted independent investigation and written a report concerning their research is eligible for election to Associate Membership. This initial research achievement can be in a field of pure or applied science. The individual is expected to later achieve the requirements for Full Membership.
- Promotion to Full Membership. Associate Members may be promoted to Full Membership once they satisfy the Full Membership qualifications.
Annual Membership Dues
- Student dues ($30.00) are available to any full-time, degree-seeking student at an institution of higher learning.
- Transitional dues ($45.00) are available to any member who has completed their degree within the last three years.
- Emeritus dues ($60.00) are available to a member who (1) is retired and at least 65 years old, and has paid dues for the immediate preceding ten years, or (2) is retired and has paid dues for the preceding thirty years.
- Regular dues ($90.00) are required of all other Sigma Xi members.
- There are also small annual chapter dues to defray UT Dallas chapter expenses. The membership period is July 1 to June 30 of each year.