Applying to the National Merit Scholars Program
Admission in the National Merit Scholars Program at UT Dallas is administered nationally through the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) and locally at the university. In order to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship Program, a student must both be recognized as a National Merit Finalist and list UT Dallas as the first choice school with the NMSC. The timeline below sets forth the important dates for applying to the National Merit Scholarship Program at UT Dallas. The details below can also be downloaded in an application checklist.
- Qualify as a Semifinalist. In early September, the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) will notify approximately 16,000 students that they have qualified as Semifinalists. If you have qualified as a Semifinalist, then you have completed the first criteria to apply for the UT Dallas National Merit Scholars Program.
- Apply to UT Dallas. Submit an online application through applytexas.org.
- If you took an earlier authorized administration of the SAT, you should request that the College Board SAT Program send your SAT scores to NMSC (code 0085).
- October 5 – SAT administration date (request scores sent to NMSC and UT Dallas, codes 0085 and 6897).
- Mid-October - High schools submit completed National Merit Scholarship Applications to NMSC.
- November 2 – SAT administration date (request scores sent to NMSC and UT Dallas, codes 0085 and 6897).
- December 7 – Last date for semifinalists to take the SAT (request scores sent to NMSC and UT Dallas, codes 0085 and 6897).
- January 1 – The FAFSA is available for completion. Though not required for participation in the National Merit Scholars Program, the FAFSA is the best way to keep your options open for covering the cost of attending college. You should complete the FAFSA as soon after January 1st as possible.
- National Merit Scholars applying to UT Dallas are eligible for automatic admission into the Collegium V Honors Program. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate you are a National Merit Finalist and would like to join Collegium V.
- In early February the NMSC will notify you if you have advanced to finalist standing.
- In March the NMSC will notify you of one of three possible merit scholarship awards.
- April 30 – Deadline to declare UT Dallas as your first choice school with the NMSC. You must report UT Dallas as your first choice to be eligible for the National Merit Scholars Program at UT Dallas. You can change this selection if you previously selected a different school. To declare UT Dallas as your first choice school, please log into the NMSC portal and make your selection.
- May 31 – Deadline to declare UT Dallas as your first choice school if you selected “Undecided” prior to the April deadline.