Terry Scholars Program Highlights
The University of Texas at Dallas Terry Scholars Program provides ambitious student scholars the intellectual, social, cultural and financial support necessary for their preparation as the future leaders of Texas and our nation.
The Terry Scholars Program was first established at UT Dallas in 2006 and is more than a scholarship. The program provides academic, service, cultural, social and leadership opportunities to enhance the scholars’ undergraduate experience at UT Dallas and to prepare them for their future.
- Academic – guest speakers, research, seminars, internships, faculty labs, and alumni mentoring and tutoring
- Scholars pursue degrees across all academic disciplines
- Research opportunities including the Clark Summer Scholars Program and the Green Fellowship; working in the labs of UTD faculty and faculty at other universities
- Internships at TI, CISCO, Raytheon, Parkland E.R. and Deloitte and Touche
- Graduates attend medical school, law school and graduate school; others employed within their field
- Cultural – several events per year including the opera, symphony, plays and the ballet. We also offer an etiquette course to all incoming freshmen. Scholars can also study abroad.
- Service – Our program is very dedicated to serving others in the surrounding communities. We participate in numerous service events every month including Welcome Home the Troops, Habitat for Humanity, Assisted Living/Nursing home visits, building wheelchair ramps, class service projects, tutoring, and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Alternative Spring Break – Provides UT Dallas Terry Scholars the opportunity to volunteer their time to local and nationwide community service projects during their spring break.
- Social – movies, bowling, get-togethers, holiday parties, game nights and sports events
- Mentor Leadership Program - The mission of the Terry Scholars Mentor Leadership Team is to assist the incoming freshmen with their acclimation to UT Dallas and the Terry Scholars Program. Further, they serve as role models and mentors throughout the year by providing assistance on the varied aspects of college life including academics, on-campus involvement and issues of a personal nature.
Each freshman scholar and the Mentor Leadership Team attend a three day mentor/mentee retreat at the beginning of the fall semester and participate in experiential and team building activities. Ongoing activities with mentors and the freshmen continue throughout the year.
- Leadership – There are several leadership positions available through the Terry Scholars Student Organization as well as other student organizations the scholars participate in.
- Terry Scholars Lounge – Dedicated space for UT Dallas Terry Scholars to engage with each other socially and intellectually. There is a study room with computers and printers the scholars can utilize.